Friday, July 15, 2011

Granite: a very hard natural igneous rock formation of visibly crystalline texture, formed essentially of quartz and orthoclase or microcline and used especially for beauty induced moments of awe.

I've seen so many good things this week. A smattering of happy faces at the sight of new furniture, a new home, and new work space. I truly enjoy getting to share those moments with people. Spaces excite me, and I am even more pleased when they excite other people.

With all of that going on, as well as some fantastic finds, I had a moment. It happened at the end of a long shopping day with a client in Naperville. Hoping to find just the right bathroom counter, we wandered over to a granite warehouse. I thought I had my mind wrapped around granite, but no, I have never seen so much natural occurring beauty in my life. This stuff is just sitting under layers of dirt! It's incredible to think that there are things like this out there that have been created for the sheer goodness of beauty, to be seen, or maybe not.


My absolute favorite slab. After twenty two rows of piece after piece I turned the corner to find this one standing alone. I thought at first that it was a photograph of the surface of the earth. Friends, this is a solid, one of a kind, slab of honed and polished rock. Oh how he delights.

1 comment: